A Selection of My Creative Publications
- Anne of Sunflower Lane. Meadowlark Press, 2022.
Cover Art: Onalee Nicklin
- Kindred Verse: Poems Inspired by Anne of Green Gables. Blue Cedar Press, 2021.
- “Some Place of the Sun.” Unlost, no. 27.
- “Out of Smoke.” Unlost, no. 27.
- “Windows.” Journal of L.M. Montgomery Studies, 2020.
- “Noche de bachata” & “Up Against the Wall.” The Very Edge: Poems, edited by Polly Alice McCann and Araceli Esparza, Flying Ketchup Press, 2020.
- “On the Edge of the Storm,” “Viernes Santo, León, 1997”, “Up Against the Wall”, & “Yellow Butterflies.” Heartland! / Kansas Time + Place.
Essays & Creative Nonfiction
- “The Interpreter’s Guide to the Galaxy of Northeast Kansas.” 105 Meadowlark Reader, no. 2: Road Trips, 2021.
- “Of June, Anne, and New Beginnings.” The PostmodernJournal, July 15, 2021.
- “Somewhere Up In Northeast Kansas.” 105 Meadowlark Reader, no. 1: Beginnings, 2021. Watch an excerpt.
- “Sun Dog.” Chicken Soup for the Soul: The Magic of Dogs, edited by Amy Newmark, Chicken Soup for the Soul, 2020.
- “My Dream for What Lies Beyond.” Daily Inspired Life, April 15, 2020.
- “Looking for Anne: Postcard from Prince Edward Island.” Cagibi, vol. 8, no. 1, 2019.
- “Prince Edward Island Postcard.” Wanderlust, September 4, 2019.
- “A Room of My Own.” (Writing Contest Winner). The K-Stater, Summer 2012.
- “Fleeting Moments.” (Writing Contest Winner). The K-Stater, Winter 2009.
- “Armed Bandit Refuses Cash, Accepts Magazines.” Second-Place Winner in the Flying Ketchup Press Sugarcoat It–Humorous Short Fiction Contest, 2022.
- “Controlled Burn.” The Write Launch, December, 2018.
A Selection of My Academic Publications
- The Modern Bachateros: 27 Interviews. McFarland, 2017.
- Bachata and Dominican Identity / La bachata y la identidad dominicana. McFarland, 2014. Peer reviewed.
- Merengue and Dominican Identity: Music as National Unifier. McFarland, 2004.
- Intermediarios: Introduction to Spanish<>English Community and Legal Translation and Interpreting. Co-authored with Laura Kanost. New Prairie Press, 2018. Peer reviewed.
- “Active Discussion Approaches for the Synchronous Online World Language Classroom.” Handbook of Research on Effective Online Language Teaching in a Disruptive Environment, edited by Jean LeLoup and Pete Swanson, IGI Global, 2022, pp. 88-105. Peer Reviewed.
- “Meals and Foods in the Hispanic World” (Learning Scenario). World Readiness Standards for Learning Spanish, 2nd ed., American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages, 2021, pp. 69-70.
- “‘Just As If I Was a Heroine in a Book’: Quixotic Identifications in and with Anne of Green Gables.” Reflections on our Relationships with Anne of Green Gables: Kindred Spirits. Ed. Jessica Carniel and Nike Sulway. Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2021, pp. 105-120.
- “Encountering Diverse Worlds.” Warming Up the Chill: Teaching Against the Structures. Ed. Laurie Milford, Jane Nelson, Audrey Kleinsasser. University of Wyoming, 2003, pp. 87-103.
Refereed Journal Articles
- “From Radio Guarachita to El Tieto eShow: Bachata’s Imagined Communities.” Latin American Research Review, vol. 57, no. 2, 2022, pp. 440-455, doi.org/10.1017/lar.2022.20.
- “‘A Good Imagination Gone Wrong’: Reading Anne of Green Gables as a Quixotic Novel. The Journal of L.M. Montgomery Studies: L.M. Montgomery & Reading (special issue), 2022, pp. 53-77.
- “Eliciting Empathy Through the Study of Literature in the World Language Classroom.” Hispania (Special Feature: Transformative Pedagogies: New Perspectives for Spanish and Portuguese Classrooms, Part 2), vol. 104, no. 3, 2021, pp. 363-367.
- “A Role for Everyone: Teaching the Telenovela.” Room for All at the Table: 2020 Report of the Central States Conference on the Teaching of Foreign Languages, 2020, pp. 1-25.
- “‘A Good Imagination Gone Wrong’: Reading Anne of Green Gables as a Quixotic Novel.” Journal of L. M. Montgomery Studies, vol. 1, 2019.
- “Teaching Digital Literacy Through Documentary Creation in the World Language Classroom.” The Language Educator, vol. 11, no. 4, 2016. pp. 40-42.
- “Nebulous Boundaries: Geographies of Identity in El hombre del acordeón.” Studies in 20th and 21st Century Literature, vol.39, no. 1, 2015.
Art by Claire Schroettner